Creating a form
To get started with creating forms in Clive, visit the Forms area and click Create a Form. In the form edit screen, configure the following options.
- Form Name - Enter a name for your form. This name will be used to identify the form within Clive.
- Description - Enter a description of your form. This title will be displayed in the final rendered form as a heading above the form fields.
- Label Positioning - Choose whether you'd like form field labels to appear at the Top of or to the Left of each field.
- Include Captcha - Reduce spam form submissions by enabling Captcha verification to submit your form.
- Submit Button Text - The default form submission button text is "Submit", but you can provide your own text such as "Subscribe" or "Download".
- Form Submit Action - Choose whether to display a completion Message or Redirect to a URL (must be fully-qualified, ex. https://www.example.com) when visitors submit the form. See "Form completion messages" below for more information on personalizing your message.
- Email Responder - If you form includes an Email field type, you can choose a responder email to send to visitors who submit the form.
- Notify people when this form is filled out - Select users in your site or provide the email address(es) of people to be notified by email when someone completes the form. Note: Recipients must have a Clive account to retrieve file uploads attached to form submissions.
Adding form fields
Add fields to your form with the Add Field button. Choose a field Type (if you have any Custom Fields saved, they'll appear at the bottom of the list) and enter a Label for the field.
When editing a field, you can :
- Placeholder - Use this to provide an example value or help text.
- Values / Default Value (for radios, checkboxes, dropdowns, and multiple selection fields)
- Convert to a new Custom Field - Save the current field along with its settings as a new Custom Field that can be shared and reused in other Clive forms.
- Edit Custom Field - Opens a new tab/browser window to edit the current Custom Field.
- Required - Make the field required in order to submit the form.
- Advanced Settings - Open settings to show the field conditionally based on a value in another field.
When finished, click Update to save your field changes.
Reordering form fields
If you need to reposition a form field, you can drag and drop it into place with the drag handle to the left of the field.
Form completion messages
If you choose to display a form completion Message when users submit your form, you'll be provided a WYSIWYG editor to create your message.
The Insert Placeholder dropdown menu allows you to personalize your completion message with information from a user's form submission such as their Name or Email address.
To insert a placeholder for a customized field, choose Form Field and type in the label of the field when prompted.
Once your form is created, you can copy the Form Embed Code on the form preview screen and paste it into the body source code of your page. The code snippet should look something like this:
<script async="true" data-clive-id="##" data-clive-type="form" src="https://live.clive.cloud/forms/##/embed"></script>
Alternatively, if your site content is managed in Cascade CMS, you can use the Clive integration to select and embed your form in a WYSIWYG editor directly from the interface.
Note: Due to browser limitations, it isn't possible to embed the same form on a single page multiple times in Internet Explorer 11 (IE11).