Creating Smart Content
To get started, visit the Smart Content area and click Create Smart Content. In the Smart Content editing screen, configure the following options:
- Name - Enter a name for your Smart Content. This name will be used to identify the content within Clive.
- Version Name - Optionally, pick a name for your content version to identify it in Clive. If you have multiple versions, choosing descriptive names can help determine which versions are performing better when viewing Smart Content statistics. By default, versions will be labeled Version A, Version B, etc.
- Type of Content - You can choose from several content formats: Image + Link, a Button, custom HTML (WYSIWYG), or select a Form.
- Show only to specific visitors - Enable this option to show a version only to users who've completed a certain form (Completed Form) or have a specified Visitor Attribute (Has Attribute).
Smart Content Versions
To create additional versions of your Smart Content for A/B testing or content personalization, click the Add New Version button.
Optionally, you can start with a copy of existing content by selecting it from the dropdown labeled Start with duplicate of a version.
Versions can be reordered in the list by using the drag handle to the left of the version's name.
Create two or more versions visible to all users to see which variation performs better with visitors (A/B testing).
Use the Show only to specific visitors option in combination with one or more rules per version to target content to visitors based on their interactions with forms on your site and/or Visitor Attributes. (Be sure to provide a "default" version without any restrictions to display to visitors without any tracked attributes or who may be blocking tracking.)
Various value comparison operators are available to evaluate attributes and construct rules for targeting content. Some notes on operators:
- Date Comparison operators don't necessarily require attributes that come from a date/time field because many date formats are recognized. For example, an attribute from a dropdown value of "January 2020" will be interpreted as "01-01-2020".
- Text Comparison operators like "equals" and "contains" can be used with numbers as well as text. However, be aware that a value of "5.0" will match the rule "equals number: 5" but not "equals (text): 5" because of the way it's evaluated.
Impressions, clickthroughs, and conversions
In the Smart Content area, you'll see stats on how your content is performing overall. By viewing a specific piece of Smart Content, you can also see how each version of your content is performing in the following areas:
- Impressions - the number of times your content is rendered.
- Clickthroughs - the total number of times visitors clicked your content. For example, if your content contains 3 links and a visitor clicks all of them this counts as 3 clickthroughs.
- Conversions - the number of unique visitors who clicked your content.
- Conversion Rate - the number of Conversions divided by the number of Impressions. In other words, the percentage of visitors who engage with your content.
Embedding Smart Content
Once your content is created, you can copy the Smart Content Embed Code on the content preview screen and paste it into the body source code of your page.
Your code snippet will look something like this:
<script async="true" data-clive-id="##" data-clive-type="smartcontent" src="https://live.clive.cloud/smartContents/##/embed"></script>
Alternatively, if your site content is managed in Cascade CMS, you can use the Clive integration to select and embed your content in a WYSIWYG editor directly from the interface.